The first building at UCLA dedicated to housing was Hershey Hall. Named after Almira “Mira” Hershey who endowed the University with $300,000 in the 1930s to have the dorm built. Beginning as a womens‘ dorm in 1931, Hershey Hall provided housing and socialization to students for nearly seven decades. In 1959 Hershey Hall was expanded with the addition of a West Wing, which would become the boys’ wing when the Hall became graduate coed housing in 1969. 1998 saw Hershey Hall converted for academic uses, providing offices and classrooms. The West Wing was demolished in 2006 to make way for the Terasaki Life Sciences Building, while the original building remained as a historic location. It reopened in 2012 to house the staff of the Department of Life Sciences South Administration.
Reservation requests can be submitted to the Life Sciences Venue Reservations.
The Hershey Hall Grand Salon is available on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to Life Sciences and their affiliates.
UCLA Life Sciences Hershey Hall Grand Salon is now available for requests.